Friday, April 2, 2010

Buddha Pictures

While in Bangkok last year I saw Buddha paintings on sale in the markets on Sukhumvit Road. They are a usually sold as a set of three and are not of any particular Buddha in Thailand. I would like to get some on my next trip.





The BAA website says





Prohibited Imports



There are restrictions on the import and export of illegal drugs and all firearms and ammunition, and the export of items of archaeological interest or historical value, without a certificate of authorisation from the Department of Fine Arts in Thailand. The export of images of the Buddha and other religious artefacts is also subject to this ruling.





Are these types of paintings included in prohibited items?





Thanks



Charms x



Buddha Pictures


Those paintings/prints are OK, the artefacts referred to mean pieces of historical significance. The casual pieces in the markets are not perfect representations or, seen as, copies of specific Buddha figures, ans as such are not included.



Buddha Pictures


Not strictly true. Buddha statues of any kind require an export licence, and will only be given to people swearing a statement that they are Buddhists, and using those items for religious worship. You need to check very carefully with the authorities about ANY Buddha image (the seller will always tell you its ok), before you buy.




I have been to BKK many, many times and have never had a problem carrying out buddha paintings, statues and figures of all sorts. I have even had customs go through my luggage and commment that they liked it!





As far as I know it is more of an issue for museum quality pieces (they don%26#39;t want people dismantling temples and taking pieces home), but the new stuff as far as I know has never been a problem (at least for me during any of my past 7 trips to BKK, as well as my trips to Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar.




Thanks all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment