Friday, April 2, 2010

How much should you pay a driver for the day??

Hi all fellow trip advisors





Just wondering how much is a suitable price to pay a driver for the day? Also we have only allocated full day to shop, any ideas to get shopping done in one particular area? Looking for clothing, imitation handbags, ect all that cheap stuff!





Thanks all



How much should you pay a driver for the day??


I have been quoted 1200 baht for an 8 hour day.





Hope this helps.





Nic



How much should you pay a driver for the day??


Hi,





I used Mr Mor last year and he was excellent.For a whole day he charged me 1600 Baht but I gave him a little extra.





He took me all over the island sightseeing and had lunch at the Hilltop restaurant. He can help you with shopping etc and has a wealth of knowledge. I can highly recommend him.





His car is new, airconditioned and very comfortable.





Have a great holiday.





Niko




Agree with Niko - Mr Mor is excellent and has a clean, newish car. More importantly he%26#39;s a very careful safe driver which counts for a lot in Phuket. I think most of the drivers recommended on here charge a similar amount - you can probably find cheaper off the street but you may end up in a car that%26#39;s not v well maintained with a kamikaze driver (I was almost killed once in a taxi in Phuket - would rather pay a bit more for my sanity, although I am sure there are good taxi drivers as well).




My friend Mai has just raised his rates to 1,500 baht per day not long ago, due to fuel increases. That%26#39;s for either a large van or his new car.





He can be contacted on hknuch@hotmail.com for a price and itinerary.




All of the driver rates quoted seem about right to me.





If you use one driver for a few (different) days then you could maybe get a better deal, but you%26#39;re just taking money off the driver to give it back to him as a big fat tip at the end. Better to get to know one guy who you like and trust and stick with him. I%26#39;ve now switched to using a guy called Nan on 089-8680853 nan7676@hotmail.com, because he has such a nice new Toyota six passenegr vehicle. Be sure to agree prices before any trip (but be honest about times and over-runs) and don%26#39;t be afraid to haggle a little.





I%26#39;d suggest that you do almost all your shopping in Patong from stall holders, but spare a thought for Robinsons department store in Patong or Phuket Town as it sometimes has some unusual or more exclusive gear at good Thai mainstream price (no haggling). Also look at the clothing in Tesco Lotus supermarket. My wife and daughter picked up some real bargains and then were complimented on their taste by smart guests at a 5* resort pool. If only they knew what we%26#39;d paid!!

No comments:

Post a Comment