Friday, March 26, 2010

Best place to stay in Samui for single woman

I%26#39;ll be traveling to Samui in late May/early June for a week and will splurge for beach portion of the stay of my 6 week trip to SE Asia. Am considering the following options:





Anantara - stayed at Hua Hin resort and loved it; Samui property is near fisherman%26#39;s village which sounds wonderful and not too crazy





Amari - closer to Chawaeng, but not in the middle of it all





I would like to be somewhere nice, but not totally isolated that I can get out and enjoy drinks, dinner and mingle with other travelers in the evening. I suspect I%26#39;ll check out Chawaeng once or so, but don%26#39;t desire a huge scene. Are these good options or should I consider something else?



Best place to stay in Samui for single woman


Wherever you stay,just be careful,single women have been targetted on Samui recently.





nytimes.com/2008/…





theage.com.au/news/…1206207415370.html



Best place to stay in Samui for single woman


Hi there





I stayted in Bophut in 2006 and hated it! Just found it rather depressing and a bit of a ';shanty town'; - lots of construction, stray dogs, more of the hippy element. I guess if you want to just switch off and look at the ocean, then it could be the place for you, but personally, I just found it a bit isolated and ';primitive';. I%26#39;ve expressed these comments before and people have criticised me but that%26#39;s really just my opimion - I know some people love it, but I%26#39;m just not one of those people!





I moved to Chaweng the next day and stayed at Muang Samui. Lovely property on the nothern end, so much quieter and more tranquil, but only a short walk to the action, if you feel like a bit of a scene.





I probably wouldn%26#39;t recommend Muang to you if you want to meet other travellers, as it%26#39;s a rather small resort and mainly couples and honeymooners, so you aren%26#39;t likely to meet many people there.





I haven%26#39;t stayed at Amari but have eaten there a few times and it%26#39;s a lovely hotel, just a bit further north from Muang. I think you%26#39;d be happy there as it%26#39;s a bigger hotel and so you%26#39;ll feel safe, and would probably have a better chance of meeting fellow single travellers there.





I really like Chaweng (northern end only!) as I think it offers the best of both worlds - peaceful enough that you feel you can escape a bit, and then close enough to the action, shops, bars, restaurants, all within walking distance, and I felt very safe and happy there.





Hope you have a wonderful trip and apologies to all those Bophut lovers!




I have to agree with DBMelbourne - skip Bophut - to us it was exactly as described.



Yes, the northern part of Chaweng has the best places to stay if you want to mix with other people.



The restaurants on the beach at night come alive up there - although the beach is nowhere near as nice as the southern part of Chaweng (but a bit quiet if you want to meet other people)



Not sure what your price range is - Amari is large and has a very nice pool area.



Iyara looked quite nice as well.



You just walk on the beach to all the restaurants.



Sandy




Hi...I%26#39;ve pretty much just asked the same question as you - going to Samui on my own end April / early May. I%26#39;ve been looking at following but didn%26#39;t make up my mind yet: Paradis Boutique / Sala Samui / Bophut Spa and Resort / Zazen bungalows / muang samui. Good luck.




Thank you, everyone, for your input especially re the recent concerns re safety. That%26#39;s just frightening. I traveled for two weeks last year in Thailand solo and felt very safe but like I said, I%26#39;m beyond doing the late night party scene, etc. at this point so the location is important to me esp now re safety concerns. In addition to Samui, this trip I%26#39;ll be spending about 10 days up north in Chiang Mai, Rai and Golden Triangle (def staying at Anantara there for my big splurge). Please share if you have travel favorites. I%26#39;m doing flights also instead of buses, maybe a train or two. Last of my trip will be spent 3 weeks in Vietnam.





I think I%26#39;ll probably go with the Amari which is priced well and seems like the right location. dsbali, let me know what you decide to do and feel free to email if you want to discuss other traval plans. It would be fun to compare.





Appreciate the input again.



Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment