Friday, March 26, 2010

Kanchanaburi - 2 days only. Wing it or book ahead??

Hi there, first time user of Trip Advisor and I think its fantastic!





I am currently planning just over 2 weeks in Thailand in May and am really looking forward to it. We have 4 days in Bangkok, 2 of which I have ';allocated'; to Kanchanaburi.





Here%26#39;s my dilemma - I have been searching the web for the perfect trip or tour to go on for 2 days - preferably to leave and return to BKK. We have 2 days in BKK when we arrive, so if we book when we get there we will have 2 days to get something organised. However, none of the tours that I can find seem to go to the right combination of places for me...





I want to see all the WWII museums %26amp; memorials etc as well as Hellfire Pass / Erawan Falls. I am as yet undecided on the Tiger temple, but it is my dream to pat a tiger...but currently battling the moral issues. Elephants and rafting would be good if we can fit it in, but I am sure we will do that in Chiang Mai anyway.





So what%26#39;s the best option? Keep searching the net? Book when we get to BKK? Get ourselves to Kan and just wing it when we get there? Or hire a private tour / driver??





Any thoughts, stories or recommendations for what to do, or agencies would be greatly appreciated!!





Lains



Kanchanaburi - 2 days only. Wing it or book ahead??




We stayed 3 nights last month (see my JBR) and we just booked drivers when we were there.Your hotell reception should be able to book you a car, or a tour if that%26#39;s what you prefer. There%26#39;s no need to prebook any activities .





We went to all the main sights at our own pace and it is quite cheap to have a taxi take you to places and just wait for you.





Erawan Falls were fantastic and bathing with the elephants in the River Kwai was one of the highlights of our holiday! I%26#39;m glad we went to the Tiger Temple too, although like you,I had mixed feelings about it and to be honest, I still do.



Kanchanaburi - 2 days only. Wing it or book ahead??


If your gouing to Kanchaburi my choice would be staying at VN guesthouse which is on the river, and hiring BT TRAVEL and their drivers.



You will pay $14 a night staying at The VN guesthouse and 750baht for a day tour, including an Elephant ride, rafting down the river, Hellfire pass and Erawan Falls.



As an Australian, please go to Hellfire Pass as I think every Australian should. It is run by ther Australian Defence Force and the Thai goverment and is a must.





Also a must is the Tiger Temple. Animals dont do any tricks and seem to be looked after.





Hope you will enjoy going to Kanchaburi.





Regards



Adam.




It is very easy to get to Kanchanaburi via bus and very inexpensive to get there and also when you arrive.





I travelled solo about 16 months ago and just took a bus into k-buri, stopped and rented a motorbike and cruised along the main road to find a place to stay. I was there during the River Kwai festival and there were plenty of vacancies. I found a place right on the river for about $5 USD for a double with bathroom and fan.





If your are adventuresome, I recommend renting a motorbike and visiting the sites independently as I did. I had great fun riding around the countryside all day. I even got a bigger chuckle at the expressions on the Thais faces when I took off my helmut and they realized I was a solo blond female ';falang'; riding around!





I love K-buri and will return the next time I am in that country.


  • sunscreen skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment