Tuesday, March 30, 2010

jbr - Wow!

Hi,





I thought I would post a quick report on our first time in Phuket.





We stayed at Patong Beach Hotel. When we first arrived we were told by a nasty receptionist that our travel agent hadn%26#39;t booked a superior sunrise room and that our rooms were right by the Banana Disco. We were pretty annoyed as we know this wasn%26#39;t true but had no proof as it wasn%26#39;t mentioned on our travel vouchers. She told us she would put us in our rightful room if we paid 850 baht to see a lady boy caberet. We said yes and thought we would just cancel the booking for the caberet but when we went to she wouldn%26#39;t let us! Apart from the awful reception service, the hotel was really nice but that lady was such a dragon, I would never stay there again as we were really tired when we arrived and she was not a nice person.





The rooms were nice and the pool was lovely and the breakfast was amazing, but everyone kept to themselves there. We were hoping to make some friend but it was really quiet, and there was no action at night at all.





We spent pretty much everyday at the pool or the beach sunbaking and every night we went for a massage and dinner.





We got a lot of massages at a place right outside Patong Beach Hotel called Planet Massage and Beauty. The girls were fantastic, and for 250 baht for an oil massage, we just kept going back!





I ended up getting a pedicure at another place one night as Planet was really busy. It was around the other side but outside the hotel again, right next door to an internet place and it was 150 baht and the best pedicure I have ever had!





We ate at Coyote Mexican twice, it was awesome! We ate at Ali Baba%26#39;s right outside Holiday Inn and I was really disappointed. We had currys with 6 tiny pieces of chicken in it. Patong Seafood Restaurant on the beach was really nice too.





Our best meals were random places, with noodles etc. So cheap and so nice!





We did one trip out to Phi Phi Island. It was amazing! I loved the snorkelling. The only thing was how rough the water was going out, my sister was seasick for 2 days after. We also Jet skiied and that was great fun.





I didn%26#39;t really rate the shopping complexes, but I wasnt there to spend my time indoors. Now the markets were another thing! I loved buying cute dresses to put on over my bathers so I didnt have to wash!





Bangla Road was fun but a little too crazy for us. We preferred to spend our time drinking dacquiris on Beach Road at the outdoor pubs right by Starbucks. Their cocktails were fabulous!





I was worried Patong Beach would be a little too crazy for us but it isnt that bad. It is clean and tidy, I thought the beach was lovely and it only smelt really bad in the mornings when you usually arent around anyway.





We had an absolute ball, We also went to Bali after but after Thailand, it was really hard to go there. I must say since it is so hard to get to Bali now as there are no direct flights from Adelaide, I would definately go back to Phuket over Bali as I much preferred it. The weather was great and we had a ball.





I now have to start saving for my next trip...





jbr - Wow!


Hi Tray27





Thanks for the great JBR. Once you%26#39;ve been to Phuket it really gets to you, and as soon as most people get home they start saving to go back.





Murf



jbr - Wow!


thanks for your JBR sorry hear about the hotel. Glad you had a good time anyway . What were the prices like at the coyote??? We want to try it next month . I like to try new mexican food as i work in a mexican reataurant on the Gold coast. How were the margies???







teresa =)




Great report and glad you enjoyed Patong, it cops a hiding on here at times and good to see a positive report on it.





Also sorry that you got a dragon at reception when you arrived, you would think that the job they are in wouldent allow for rudeness to the paying guest%26#39;s but doesent alway%26#39;s work that way.





Thank%26#39;s Ronnie.




Hi Tray, Glad you had such a good time, just a shame about the dragon lady.



Have to admit though we also prefer Phuket over Bali.





Is it just me or has the posting format changed, everything is centred.



Cathy




Hi Tray ,



Enjoyed your JBR. I also had a bad experience with the rude reception staff at this hotel when I stayed there in Dec 2006, and witnessed other guests being spoken rudley too as well. Would also never stay at the Patong beach hotel again . Glad to hear the rest of your holiday was great though.





cheers





Cindy




Hi guys,





Coyote cost about 350 to 400 baht each I am pretty sure but that included an entree to share and a strawberry frozen margerita - and they were really really good!




Hi Tray,



Enjoyed reading your trip report, sorry to hear about the girl at reception.



That can spoil your stay at a hotel but there are plenty of other hotels to stay at next time.



What shopping bargains did you pick up and where?



Cheers,



Stewie.




Hi Stewie,





We didn%26#39;t really do too much shopping. I bought dresses at the markets to save washing. We paid about 200 baht for them.





We bought lots of sunglasses, they are pretty good and not bad quality either.





I wish I had bought the fake Tiffany necklaces they sell everywhere though, I hoped to buy them in Bali but they had none anywhere.





We bought a few dvds, so far they are working too!





The handbags at the markets are great but quite expensive, I couldnt really justify paying so much for a knock off bag that looks real when realistically I couldnt afford it! So I didnt buy any. To be honest I would rather have spent that on a really nice bag without the fake label.





That was really it, I did my shopping at KL on the way over!





We did our shopping on the road opposite the beach.





Oh and I forgot! At Bangla Road I bought a friend a silver metallic Mankini! It cost $15 but I wish I had have bought more, so many friends who have seen the pics have wanted them for presents!




Just returned from my first trip to Phuket. I loved it. I have always prefered Bali,as it is only 3 1/2 hr flight from Perth, but Phuket has topped Bali! Stayed at the Patong Merlin, they too need to employ happier people, cause we encountered many dragons there! Hotel has a perfect location. Not sure though whether i would stay there again due the unfriendly staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment